The first aplha of the Sagittarius XMP metadata editor is out.
It can be downloaded from sagittarius.vokod.com.
Much of the planned features is still under development, but it can edit metadata
It reads and writes the XMP-IPTC metadata of jpeg,tiff,png, dng files, both in single and in batch mode.
The main window shows a directory tree and a preview on the left, photos of the currently selected directory in the middle, and XMP-IPTC meteadat on the right.
It shows a (live resizeable) preview of the currently selected photo, and displays (resizeable) thumbnails of the other photos of the directory. Beside the thumbnail it shows some basic information of the picture file (name, dimensions, size and IPTC caption. On later versions, the information displayed will be user selectable from the file properties, EXIF and IPTC tags.)
It shows all the XMP-IPTC fields of the currently selected photo (later versions will display EXIF as well)
Sagittarius does not overwrite your original files. It creates a backup copy of them (actually it is the default functionality of Exiftool, the module Sagittarius builds upon. In later versions, backing up will be user selectable).
In a separate dialog (in later versions it will be integrated to the metadata-display side panel on the right) you can edit each XMP-IPTC field of one or more photos. User can select which field to edit or leave as is.
If the user selects more than one photo, and for a certain metadata field the values are different, then a value of “Multiple values” will be shown to the user in the dialog. The only exception is the keywords (IPTC Subject) field. In the case of the keywords, Sagittaris gathers all the keywords of the selected photos. If a keyword is common (is presented in every selected photo), it will be displayed as is. If it is not common (only a few (at least one) photo has it), it will be displayed with a * as its first character. If the user does not remove the star (or the keyword), than this keyword won’t be applied to all the selected photos.
1.0 will have…
- EXIF support. I mean XMP-EXIF support. Changing of the EXIF fields will be limited to date and GPS fields (why would anybody change the other stuff anyway?).
- No metadata editor dialog boxes. Metadata edit will be done in the right side metadata panel.
- Metadata templates. User can create and apply metadata templates to batches of photos. For example, one template for copyright fields, one for creator, and so on.
- More sophisticated keyword handling. Keywords will be saved to a tree hierarchy, from what user can select which keyword to apply to photos.
- User selectable info fields in the thumbnail view. There will be up to 8lines of information beside each thumbnail. The user can select what information is to be displayed from all of the EXIF and IPTC fields, and file properties.
- For all the IPTC fields that have closed vocabularies the IPTC standard vocabularies will be implemented.